Saturday, January 14, 2012

Is this irony?

I've been mentally composing posts for this blog for months, but never had time to write. Then, a week before Christmas, I got laid off. So now I have all the time in the world to write. Except, wait a sec.  This is supposed to be a blog about being a working Mom.  But I only have time to write if I'm unemployed.

Headdesk.

The job I lost was supposed to be my panacea - one that allowed me the flexibility to work from home, that didn't have insane hours, and that paid a hell of a lot more than my previous one.  Granted, I put up with a lot of shit to get those perks, but it was worth it. So now I'm job hunting, and interviewing for positions like my old one I had before - advertising agency with tight deadlines and long hours and a lousy commute. 

And even if I "only" work until 6 every night, I'll end up spending barely an hour with my kid before he goes to bed. We'll arrive home in time for me to plop him into his high chair for dinner, then immediately whisk him into the tub, followed by a few stories and bed. The morning will be just as hectic, if not worse.  And weekends will return to the way they were - time for the cleaning and chores and grocery shopping that couldn't get done during the week.  It sucks and I'm absolutely heartbroken that this is the way it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment