Sunday, January 29, 2012

What's in a name?

Sometimes I am surprised my kid knows her own name. We call her by so many nicknames its astonishing she responds. Of course we do the standard shortening of her name - Whit or Whit whit if I am being cute. But also Squish, Smooch, Mugwhup, Baby doll, Hun, Sweets, Babe, Cutie, Sweetheart, and Munch (short for Munchkin - cause obviously Munchkin is too long) - just to name a few. I suppose since she is the only little person in the house - she figures no matter what we call her we must be talking to her. What are some of your favorite nicknames?

3 comments:

  1. "little man" is one of my favorites. We also have a nickname that makes his name *longer* -- it came from the fact that he started calling for "Daddy-o" in the morning when he wakes up (rather than "Daddy"). So naturally we started adding "-o" onto his name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Owen was first born, I called him Baby Bear, and Bear stuck. (We even made up a song.) Usually, we call him Owen Bear, but often just Bear. And at the height of the robot theme madness, Ben would call him Tiny Robot Bear. My personal favorite was when he started to crawl, and we could hear him making his way across the hardwood floor - then he became the Slappy-handed Monkey Bear. (Once he started walking with shoes on, he was the Clompy-footed Monkey Bear.) Now, Ben most often calls him Nutty Lumpkin. Or just Crazy. I still stick to Bear.

    I love Munch. That's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot. Also, "Nowen" - it saves time... No, Owen. No, Owen. No, Owen. NO OWEN.

    ReplyDelete